Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Montser Story by McCarty Griffin: Reviewed by Donna @ Book Lovers Paradise

Monster Story
By McCarty Griffin
Published Nov 4th 2010 on Smashwords
Pick up your copy at B&N, Amazon, or your local indie today!
Synopsis borrowed from Goodreads:

Christy McCauley has returned to West Virginia at last, but her homecoming quickly turns into a surreal nightmare. In the deep hollows and woods of rural Augusta County, something unspeakable is slaughtering people in the dark of night. Authorities don't know if its human or animal, or how to stop it. Christy and her friends only know they must hunt it and destroy it, before it kills again.


******contains spoilers********



I must admit, I am not a huge fan of horror stories. This book sounded interesting therefore I thought I would try it. I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed this book. Some of the more grisly descriptions of ripped up body parts had me closing my eyes and shuddering, however, overall, a great story. I loved the way the author told part of the story from the viewpoint of the monster. I've seen this in other books but not done as well as here. A nice change in a horror story, especially since ***spoiler**** the monster is eventually aware of his previous life.

The action in this book begins immediately with the dead rising from the earth. This would be a great Sci Fi channel movie!! The one thing I didn't care for was the constant introduction of new characters. It can be somewhat confusing keeping all the characters straight. I began to think of them as "red shirt characters" Remember the old Star Trek TV show? You always knew the guys in red shirts were going to meet their doom before the end of the show. They are a necessary part of any story, the expendable people.

Overall, this is not my normal genre of book but I'm glad I read it. I look forward to reading more by Ms. Griffin

Donna's rating...


Catch Donna over at her blog @ Book Lover's Paradise

1 comment:

  1. Both McCarty and I thank you for posting my review. This is a great Halloween book!

    ReplyDelete