Friday, November 11, 2011

Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings #1)

Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Published: 2010
Synopsis from Goodreads

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?




In the Beginning there was a Greta Squee
Zo-my-Gawwwwwwww!!

Lions and Tigers and NO!!!

Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to .... NO!!

Lions and Tigers and... WHere the hell are you getting that from?

Oh right?!!

I've seen the werewolves of LONDON! I've seen....

NOES!!

STOP IT!!

Are you ready to behave now?
Ummm.... wait... I think I'm talking to myself again....

BUT!!

Zo-MA-GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

This book was absolutelyfreakingtasticaloverdatopplesfullofmostawesomepossom stuff!!

SUPER LOVES!!!

SUPER DUPER LOVES!!

So, we know the story of Red RIding Hood, right?

Little underage girl goes out into the woods and gets perved on by a big bad wolf then winds up at Granny's where the wolf eats her, pervs more on Little Red, then gets murdered and a live grandma pops out of her belly.

Or in other stories, Little Red has to eat Grandma.

And then there's other ones where the wolf abuses Little Red.

But this is a different kind of retelling of LIttle Red Riding Hood.

AT first I thought this was a retelling of SNOW WHITE and ROSE RED.

It would work because the book is called SISTERS RED. BUT... they're last name isn't RED. It's MARCH.


A Darfallen Review
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

I need to start by saying that this book was AMAZING!! No really it was. It was a read that no matter how much it ripped my heart open I couldn't put it down. But Jackson Pearce has that effect on people. Her writing is like an uncontrollable magnetism. I force to devour it in one sitting that is so strong you forget what sleep is, or why you need it, because as long as there is more words on the pages to read sleep is not a necessity.

Sister's Red is a re-telling of Red Riding Hood but in a completely unique way. While I love how Pearce slipped in some of the old lore the best part is her ability to twist Red Riding Hood into something different, something better even. In Sister's Red you have two sister. Two little girls that had childhood fantasies of dolls & unicorns riped away by man eating wolves. By the Fenris. And just like Plato said once you have left the darkness and seen the light you can never go back. Scarlett and Rosie were forced from that dark cave that day. The day they lost their grandmother. The day they watched a man transform into a beast.

This story comes from both Scarlett's and Rosie's POV which I think was completely necessary so that you could see just what it was like for both of them. Scarlett if the older sister. She saved herself and Rosie from joining their grandmother's fate that day, but it cost her so very VERY much. While Rosie is still beautiful, and sweet; Scarlett is scarred up from her battle with the beast. And the physical scars have nothing on the emotional damage. They stole her life that day even though she lived. And for me Scarlett won my heart so this review is going to be more about her I'm afraid.

It's not the way I wanted it to go...

I wanted her to find love...

Love for something more than just the hunt. For her to know the feel of electric heat that races through you body at the slightest of touch from that love. A love doesn't stem from hatred and therefore isn't tainted by it. Even thought everyone told me it wouldn't happen. Rosie told me. Silas to me. Even Scarlett told me. I couldn't help but wish for it anyways. And that is what tells you this a great book. Because it has the ability to make you care enough to want something. Even the wolves told me with their sickening laughs and devouring smiles of pleasure, that Scarlett would never have a HAE. They stole it from her over and over again. It started with a salesman, a grandmother, and an eye...and they will keep stealing it away until the day she dies. Because while the wolves forced Scarlett out of the darkness of the cave, into the light, that light has trapped her into in even worse darkness. One that she CAN'T be pulled from. There is no light to find here. And for that I want to kill every last one of them. I want to join her in the light of internal darkness until I can find a way to pull her out. Because I get it. Because I know what it feels like to know something you shouldn't know. And once you know it you can't unknow it, and to do nothing would be unfair. You feel a need to protect others from loosing their innocence. In this case it's the Dragonfly girls, and losing their innocence would mean losing their life.

See what I mean? This books makes you FEEL! The kind of book that will make you cry in your sleep both from nightmares of monsters that take girls leave nothing behind but bloody elbow reminders AND from shear heartache.

Yes Scarlett is your typical Bad-ass chic that takes on the paranormal bad guys. But she is more then that. There is a constant hum of pain that stays just below the surface. An unstoppable torment that never goes away. What the fernis did to her stole her soul, her heart. And reading it broke mine.

I also really loved Silas & Rosie. I don't think that Silas ends up with the right person, but after reading the whole book I get it...I think. Or at least I'm trying to. Overall this was a great book. It could easily be made into a series, even thought I know that it is not, but I would love to see more books about Silas, Rosie, & Scarlett. And the ending?

This has one of those endings that leaves your heart torn in two. Equal parts happy and sad....but none the less beautifully broken...


Super Awesome Greta tips about Fenris
This is probably one of the most original RED RIDING HOOD RETELLINGS that I have ever read. And I've read quite a few in the last year since I've become super obsessed with the story.

I also adore the idea of the fenris.
Fenris is actually like the man-made wolf son of Loki and is super awesome and from what I hear is the original wolf of the original RED RIDING HOOD. He's also the wolf that eats the sun.

Back in the Viking days the manly men got super scared during solar eclipses and thought that the wolf was eating the sun.

Super cool, right? Ok... I'm just a dork with those kinds of things ;)

Anyways... super loved every aspect of this book!!!

You should totally read it!!




4 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this one for a long time. It's pretty high on my wishlist. Can't wait to get it in the future! Perhaps I'll use some Christmas money to buy a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the review. And feel bad that it was a sad /happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love these reviews! I really want o read this one it sounds so awesome! Rd Riding Hood is my fav. fairytale!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis book is super awesome!! Everyone should read!! :)

    ReplyDelete