Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fate Fixed

Title: Fate Fixed (The Erris Coven Series, #1)
Author: Bonnie Erina Wheeler
Published: July 2011
Synopsis from Goodreads

An Erris Coven Novel is young adult paranormal romance. When Lexie Anderson’s mother suddenly announces she is marrying a Romanian immigrant, Lexie willingly leaves behind her busy life in Connecticut for her penance in “The Moose Capital of the World.” Small town living is strange enough, now Lexie must cope with her overbearing stepfamily monitoring her every move. They disappear into the woods at night and keep a strange secret locked in their shed. Her once calm mother is now having violent outbursts and Lexie’s little sister is hearing sinister sounds coming from the forest behind their new home. Lexie’s biggest surprise comes when she discovers the boy she has been dreaming about since her accident is living in Maine. Despite Torin’s questionable reputation, Lexie cannot resist the physical and emotional attraction pulsating between them. Animals and people in town are turning up dead and Lexie learns the strange new world she lives in has real life monsters. Just when she decides she wants to be with Torin forever, she must fight to protect her mother and sister from being harmed by a formidable evil.

Darkfallen: Before I start my official review I have to say one thing...I could sit there and stare at this book for hours. The cover absolutely mesmerizes me!

Greta: Darkfallen likes shiny stuff!! I always like to much with her with aluminum foil ;)

Darkfallen: I highly recommend buying the paper back version just so you can hold this beautiful book in your hands.

Greta: I guess they can even taste it if they wanted to.

Darkfallen: Seriously, it is sitting on my coffee table right now...the color, her eyes, everything just calls to you, and you can't help but find yourself lost in it. Which leads me to Who did this cover art? and I totally want them to do some work for me;) lol

Greta: Oooww!! Line up artists!! Darkfallen WANTS you!! HAHAS! I hear she always loves a man in a beret!! Wee wee!! Ok... I'm assuming the dude that drew the cover is French.

Darkallen: Yeah yeah...Ok but let's get back to the book shall we...well the inside of the book.

Lexie's life has been pretty much in shambles for the last year. Watching her sister and mother slowly drown in misery...a misery she caused...

It's been almost a year since she killed he dad...
Since she left her younger sister without a father...
Since she left her mother without a husband...

So when her mother meets Dragos, a man who lost his wife, and she seems to be happy again, Lexie couldn't be happier. That is until her mother marries Dragos and his 3 noisy boys move in.

Greta: Who eat EVERYTHING!!! and probably smell... I found most boys that age have a smelly quality of them ;)

Darkfallen: What are you trying to say?

Greta: Uhh.. that I've smelled the smelly feet of a teenage boy and it wasn't like fresh cut grass.

Darkfallen: Why would it be? And why are you smelly boys' feet?

Anyways, Lexie doesn't say anything. She just wants her mom happy so she bites her tongue. Even when Dragos decides to relocate the whole family from Connecticut to Maine the beginning of Lexie's senior, ripping Lexie away from the only life she has ever known and her best friends Liz. But who is Lexie to complain considering this is all her fault. If she wouldn't have...and her dad was still...

Then there is the dreams. Ever since her father died the only comfort she has found has been with her dreams. Dreams of a boy that make her feel things so real she has a hard time believing it's a dream. Who is this boy? Why does it feel so real when she knows she has never met him before? And more importantly why does this dream always turn into a nightmare?

Greta: His name is TORIN and he's not like you and me. He's a hunkamonk with a broodtastic attitude who likes to drink Monster and ride his dirt bike. Oh yeah... and low and behold... he lives in Maine!!

What are the odds? Is it Fate?

You betcha!

Darkfallen: Overall I say this book will draw you in. I do think that it needs a little help with some editing. Nothing that a good beta couldn't polish right up. The writing is just a little choppy at times. What I mean by that is it didn't flow quite right all the time. Again this was just a matter of maybe changing out some words here and there, sewing it up in spots. But the story and folk lore will grab you and I loved reading about this take on Maori lore. Even with the choppiness I was still compelled to read it. Needing to know what happened next. Lexie and Torin's relationship was beautiful and I would have loved to see even more there. To spend a few more chapters lost in their fated love. However I think I know where book 2 is going and I can't wait read it. And I'm thinking that the flowy issues will prolly be better in book two seeing how this was the authors first novel and practice makes perfect and all than right?!

If you enjoy vampire & werewolf YA I say pick this up. The twists on old lore will make you eager to read more


3 comments: