Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Destined by P.C. & Kristen Cast: Review

Destined (House of Night 9)
By P.C. Cast & Kristen Cast
Published Oct 25th by St. Martins Press
Pick up you copy today at Amazon, B&N, or your local indie!

Synopsis borrowed from Goodreads:

Breathing hard, Aurox stood there over the bodies of his vanquished enemies. He turned to Neferet.

"Very good," she said in her emotionless voice. "Let us leave this place before the authorities descend."

Aurox followed her. He walked heavily, his hooves gouging furrows in the dirty alley.

Weak. He felt weak. And more. There was something else.

"What is it?" She snapped at him when he hesitated before entering the car again.

"I do not know. I feel--"

She laughed. "You don't feel at all. You're obviously overthinking this."

"Yes, Priestess." Aurox got in the car and let the world speed past him.I do not think. I do not feel. I am a weapon.


Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet -- which would be a whole lot easier if the High Council saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, Rephaim and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together -- if he can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow.

But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans, including Lenobia's handsome horse whisperer, threatens their precarious stability. And then there's the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous teen boy who is actually more -- or possibly less -- than human. Only Neferet knows he was created to be her greatest weapon. But Zoey can sense the part of his soul that remains human, the compassion that wars with his Dark calling. And there's something strangely familiar about him . . .

Will Neferet's true nature be revealed before she succeeds at extinguishing Light? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox's humanity in time to protect them all? Find out what's destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series.

Darkfallen's thoughts:

First I am going to start by saying that since we are in book 9 now I'm not going to go into the whole "synopsis" deal that I normally would with a review. Instead I'm just going to hop into the important parts.

Which is explaining why this is only getting 3 stars...

So don't get me wrong I have been in love with this series for a LONG time now. I have eagerly devoured each and every book...and then cried for more. This series has been nothing short of amazing. However this installment is my least favorite.

and here's why...

First there seems to be a pattern with, not only this series, but all long series that in my mind alternates between an action packed cliffy book to a bridger/builder book and back again. While I LOVED the book 8 in this series is was very much a bridger book. So that stands to reason that this book should knock me out of my seat, right? Well for me it just felt like another bridger book, paving the way for the next. Which really wouldn't be a bad thing except...

There is simply to many POV's going on in here. It left me having a hard time connecting to any one character. I am usually all for switching POV's but reading a book from 8 different angles was a little rough. I said it before in the last book and I'll say it again now...i really DON'T like the story from Neferet's POV and I wish it wouldn't happen. But then there is also Zoey's, Stevie-Ray's, Rephaim, Auxor's, Kalona, Stark, Lebonia's POV's as well! It's just a bit much. I liked this series better when we only heard from the main 4 characters.

Lastly...and you shouldn't read this because it might be a little bit of a spoiler...

Why oh WHY are they trying to find a way bring Heath back? Yes I loved him. Yes I cried my freaking eyes out when he died. I wanted to kill someone to bring him back. But that was what, 3 or 4 books ago? I've morned, I've moved on, and so should the authors in my opinion. Why does Zoey HAVE to be the victim of a love triangle? Why can't she just be in love and happy with Stark and maybe one day make the cutest damn warrior/priestess babies? Please or PLEASE I am begging you...let Heath rest in peace and let Zoey & Stark have their HEA.

The End...

Lymi...




7 comments:

  1. I too like this series and I'm not sure why they keep trying to put Zoey into a love triangle. I was completely shocked when Heath died but I thought finally they can put her with Stark and she can focus on one relationship. But no!

    I felt like another book in this series was a bridger book but I can't remember which one, Burned maybe. I just know it was my least favorite up until that point. I'm sad to hear this may be a repeat of the whole bridger issue.

    Lastly, I cannot agree more about the bazillion POV's that this series has shifted too! At some point you must say enough is enough. I can't believe there are 8 POV's in this book.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, through the entire series about a month or 2 have transpired, right? -_-

    Each book is only 2-4 days long. And, the same thing keeps happening!

    I have not been able to read the last one.

    I was devastated when Heath died. Really, he's the sweetest of them all. Bringing Heath back MAY make me read the books again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the review chic! I really like this series but I've fallen behind. I loved Heath though. I'd love it if they found a way to bring him back. But, like you said, it needed be done earlier.

    One problem with this series is the time flow. The first three books spanned a few months. Then all of a sudden time slowed down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea Meg what is up with the days dragging by in this series? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, guys. I gave this a four because I loved the Stevie Rae & Rephaim content, as well as where Kalona ended up by the end. But I definitely agree with you about Zoey and her merry men. *rolls eyes* Fortunately for me, I read these books for Stevie Rae and Rephaim. If *that* gets messed up, -then- I'll be freaking out.

    Anyway, I always love hearing opinions on my favorite series and this was well said. Are you still looking forward to the next one? I know I am. :) And are you planning to read Lenobia's Vow in January?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will read Lebonias in January and I will prolly read the next one but I'm just as eagerly awaiting it.

    ReplyDelete