Monday, May 16, 2011

tithe : a modern faerie tale

By: Holly Black

Published: March 23rd 2004 by Simon Pulse (first published October 1st 2002)

Synopsis taken from Black's website

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms -- a struggle that could very well mean her death.







My summary:

An emo angsty woah as me girly with a messed up life and an immature Mommy go live with grandma where lonley girl realizes her life is about to get sprinkled with pixie dust.


Good gried was there a smack-load of cussing in this book, or what? I honestly can't believe this is targetted at children. Sure there is a "14 and up" little tiny tag on the back cover but do cashiers in bookstores and at Wal-mart actually enforce it? Because wowwy zowwy this book sure did fill up the swear jar!



I wasn't at all wowwed with this book. I actually didn't care what happened next or if everything turned out to be happily ever after.

Remember kids... I'm a PICKY PICK!




It seems like every fairy book now-a-days has to be A Midsummer Night's Dream fan fiction. That's basically what "The Iron King" is and to tell you the truth that book/series is way mondo better than this book. Sure "Tithe" is done in sort of a different way but it's still the same story, pretty much. And yeah, this was written first so I guess you could say that maybe The Iron King ripped it off but I kind of doubt. I just expected more!



Greta Rating:
So, as a first in Paranormal Wasteland histroy.... I do NOT recommend this book and it does not get the Greta Seal of Approval.


2 comments:

  1. Awwwww that is monda sucktastic!!

    But there you has ladies and gents, us here at PW post even the bad reviews! Why you ask? Because we are honest peeps and we rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLZ! I did say The Iron King was good ;) HAHA!

    This book just had way too much cussing, the romance was too easy, and well, it was just too easily explained. Sure that's probably fabulous for 14 year olds but I just didn't buy it because if my kid cussed as much as these kids his a** would be so grounded he wouldn't be able to run off and have adventures like this because he'd be grounded for life!

    ReplyDelete