Monday, June 18, 2012

As Wicked As They Come


Title: Wicked As They Come (Blud #1)
Author: Delilah S. Dawson
Published:  March 2012
Synopsis from Goodreads

Have you ever heard of a Bludman? They’re rather like you and me—only more fabulous, immortal, and mostly indestructible. (They’re also very good kissers.)


Delilah S. Dawson’s darkly tempting debut drops her unsuspecting heroine into a strange faraway land for a romantic adventure that’s part paranormal, part steampunk . . . and completely irresistible.


When Tish Everett forces open the ruby locket she finds at an estate sale, she has no idea that a deliciously rakish Bludman has cast a spell just for her. She wakes up in a surreal world, where Criminy Stain, the dashing proprietor of a magical traveling circus, curiously awaits. At Criminy’s electric touch, Tish glimpses a tantalizing future, but she also foresees her ultimate doom. Before she can decide whether to risk her fate with the charming daredevil, the locket disappears, and with it, her only chance to return home. Tish and Criminy battle roaring sea monsters and thundering bludmares, vengeful ghosts and crooked Coppers in a treacherous race to recover the necklace from the evil Blud-hating Magistrate. But if they succeed, will Tish forsake her fanged suitor and return to her normal life, or will she take a chance on an unpredictable but dangerous destiny with the Bludman she’s coming to love?



Step right up and let's run away with the circus!!

 

It sounds like something you've always wanted to do. Right? Well, it's always been something I've wanted to do. Ever since I was little I wanted to runaway with the circus and maybe learn how to ride a diving horse (don't judge me. I saw Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken and thought that was the way to go!) With that in mind, I couldn't WAIT to get my grubby little hands on this book. I mean just look at the cover!! Can you say Me-ow!! I mean... Hello Dolly!! While this is a magical book. A steam punky book. It lacked that wow factor for me.

 The main broody boy is King of the Gypsies -Criminey Stain - Alright, odd name, but I can look past that. Criminy is the ringleader for the carnival... and better yet!! He's a VAMPIRE!! Well, what his closest his world has to vampires. Criminy is a Bludman.

 The main girly is Tish who we later call Letitia. She is a nurse who takes care of people at their homes. One day she is at an estate sale for a recently passed patient and comes across a locket in a book. It is the shape of a heart and has a picture of a really cute guy inside. This is where our adventure begins. You see... that locket is MAGIC! When Tish falls asleep that night she finds herself in the world of Sang in the early 1900s and quite naked in front of the man who's picture is in the locket. Tish learns that the man had wished her here and that the locket she has around her neck is his. She is his soul mate and she thinks he's full of baloney.

 Greta's Thoughts: While this book was mega awesome with the whole vampire, magic, bludbunnies (you heard me! Killer bunnies!!), and costumes... the main hero fell a bit flat for me. I found him not having the pzazz that I wanted him to have. I wanted him to wow me like a 1990s version of David Copperfield, I wanted him to make me scream like an Immortals After Dark hero, I wanted him to be dark but also tamable by his one true love. Ok ok... I wanted this



Too much? I mean... again... Look at the cover. I saw that and said "ZOMG YES!! Mindfreak!" All I could think about was Cris Angel. I kept dreaming that the hero would whisper, "Are you ready." But here's my beef.... He never ONCE is like he is on the cover. Not once!! Sure he wears the jacket. Sure he wears the top hat. But he also has to wear these lame gloves and he wears a shirt way too often. I mean.... I was reallylooking forward to something like this


But I never walked away with that RAWR factor! That "I want him to throw me down and make me like it" type feeling. Really, Criminy didn't make me fall in love at all. But maybe that's because I built the book up too much in my head. Because in all honesty this book was written quite well. And there were a ton of awesome ONE LINERS so you can really tell the author put a ton of effort in making this book perfect. Also, it was quite imaginative. Most of the animals have turned vampire so people have robot pets like monkeys and dogs who also work as super cool spy equipment. And I also really dug that the magic wasn't just smoke and mirrors but real live magic. The kind of magic that I thought existed when I wanted to runaway and join the circus. I also really enjoyed the traveling caravan aspect. I wouldn't mind reading more books like that. All in all... Don't build the book's hero up too much until you actually meet him. I think that would definitely help ;) So step right up and visit the world of Sang.... 


Are you ready?




1 comment:

  1. Nice review!! I admit, I fell for the cover too! Bought it awhile back but have yet to read it! Not been a good year for me and reading since I started working again! Oh well!

    ReplyDelete