Friday, August 10, 2012

Touched by Cyn Balog: Review

Touched
By Cyn Balog
Published August 14th 2012 by Delacorte Press
Pick up your own copy at Amazon, B&N, or your local indie today!
Synopsis borrowed from Goodreads:

Nick Cross always listens to the voice in his head. Because if he doesn't? Things can go really, really wrong. Like the day he decided to go off script and saved a girl from being run over . . . and let another one drown. Trying to change the future doesn't work.
But this summer at the Jersey Shore, something's about to happen that Nick never could have predicted. He meets a girl named Taryn and finds out about the Book of Touch. Now the path that he thought he was on begins to shift . . . and there's no way to stop things from happening. Or is there?

In a life where there are no surprises, nothing has prepared Nick for what he's about to discover--or the choice he will be forced to make. . . .


 Darkfallen's thoughts:

So I had to take a few days to write this review, a few days to marinate on this story and come up with just exactly what I wanted to say about it. Still I'm having a hard time deciding how many stars to give this one so I'm going with 3, but maybe it's more like 2.5?

Nick and his mother have always been different. Hence the fact that his nick name is "Crazy Cross". It's not been an easy life when you can see your own future. You always know what you are going to do next and what is going to happen because of your actions. The worst part has to be seeing how you and your family are going to die. But the future changes when Nick rebels against it, and when he sees a horrible future, one that involves Taryn, a girl that doesn't treat him like he is crazy, he tries everything to change it. But not even Nick can fix everything and in the end he is hit with an ending that he never saw coming.

For me this book was just okay. It reminded me a lot of the movie The Butterfly Effect with a few differences and a dose of witchcraft thrown in. Like I said earlier I have a hard time thinking of what I wanted to say about this book so I took a few days to sit on it. I am surprised to say that this story seems to be sticking with me. I keep finding myself thinking about it. But I think that's because I loved the characters. I love Nick and you can't help but feel sorry for the hand he was dealt. And Taryn is just an all around amazing person and her hand of cards isn't much better which makes you feel for her too. Still this story falls flat. I think it would be a good first draft, but now it needs to be more fleshed out. When your reading it it's like your getting all the details but your only skimming the surface. Never quite diving in. You just don't get as emotionally invested as you should. For instance there was a HUGE tragic disaster that happened and I should have fell apart and cried, but instead I just kept on reading like nothing happened.

Overall I think this story could be epic if it were fleshed out a bit more to really pull the readers emotions into it. Never the less it was still and okay fast read with a few good twists.


Lymi...




1 comment: