Friday, January 13, 2012

Darkness Fall by Cate Tiernan: Review

Darkness Falls
By Cate Tiernan
Published January 2nd by Poppy
Pick up your copy at Amazon, B&N, or your local indie today!

Synopsis borrowed from Goodreads:

Nastasya has lived for hundreds of years, but for some reason, life never seems to get any better. She left her spoiled, rich girl life to find peace at River's Edge, a safe haven for wayward immortals. There, she learned to embrace River's Edge, despite some drama involving the sexy Reyn, who she wants but won't allow herself to have. But just as she's getting comfortable, her family's ties to dark magick force her to leave.

She falls back into her old, hard partying ways, but will her decision lead her into the hands of a dark immortal? Or will it be her first step to embracing the darkness within her?


Darkfallen's thoughts:

I want to start by saying that I loved this book so much more than the first one! The story line just seemed to flow better, and the flashbacks were cut WAY down. Although I guess that's why it flowed better ;)

Things keep happening at Rivers Edge. Dark, evil things. No matter how hard Nas tries to get her magic right every time she tries to work a spell, or join a circle, something goes very very wrong. Feeling beat down and alone she starts to realize all the darkness is coming from her. Believing that she is to blame for everything she questions if she belongs at River's Edge. In fact she questions rather or not she belongs anywhere. All the while she's having nightmare and visions of her rogue friend Incy. In her visions he is stark raving mad, killing her old friends for their power. Knowing she's not safe outside of River's Edge, but feeling like she is bringing the darkness to it, she doesn't know what to do. Should she stay, or should she go?

Now I don't want to get to into the story for fear of giving something away. A spoiler bunny I am not! LOL But I will say that in the first book I had a hard time with all the really LONG flashbacks that just seemed to bore me a little and pull me out of the story. In this second installment the flashbacks are far, few, and in between. Being cut way down I found myself being able to submerse myself in the present much easier and therefore connecting with the story far more than I did in the first book. I also mentioned that in the first book the romance wasn't playing as big of a part as I would have liked...well in this book the romance is still on the back burner, but it didn't bother me as much once I was able to connect with the rest of the story.

And the ending? Yeah that was definitely worth the wait and I can't wait for the next book!     



Lymi...

    

1 comment:

  1. Oh it's rare that a sequel is better than the 1st book. I'm def. intrigued by this series and I find it weird that I never heard of it before this month! Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete