Monday, January 16, 2012

Generation Dead - Greta Edition -

Title: Generation Dead
Author: Daniel Waters
Published: May 6, 2008
Synopsis from Goodreads:

Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. She’s strong and silent…and dead.

All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn’t want them.

The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the “differently biotic." But the students don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the “living impaired” from the people who want them to disappear—for good.

When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?

Welps! I finally did it! I read Generation Dead! And while most of you have reviewed this book I really won't go into too much detail.

Basically:
If you are a teenager and you die you can come back to life. Small Town school is now over-populated with zombies and it's a regular Civil Rights Movement for equal equlity. Parents and kids aren't too thrilled about the new students but there is a group of kids that is willing to chain arms and go all "Occupy Wall Street" with them.

It's pretty much a new form of racism that puts the living against the dead.

Ok ok... So, yeah... if you haven't read the book then that won't make much sense but I'm not really wanting to get into it because trust me... EVERYONE has reviewed this book.

I've been told by some of my friends that I need to read this. That they uber love and they think that I will too. Sadly, this book wasn't really for me. I found it a bit too middle school for me. Like, for instance, there is a gang called the PAIN CREW that is just a bunch of football bullies that want to inflict PAIN on their rivals. Uhh... and they call themselves THE PAIN CREW. THat just seemed a bit Middle Schoolish to me.

Another thing was two girls that called themselves WEIRD SISTERS. Again... Middle School. I can't really remember having GANGS and CREWS like that back in high school. But I can totally remember that kind of stuff in Middle School.

So, in my opinion this book should have been toned down to a middle grade level. I just wonder what sixteen year old would love this book. Maybe a fourteen year old, but I talked to my son about it and he wanted to know if the zombies ate brains or flesh or turned other people into zombies by biting them and when I told him "NO" he then deemed the book Lame.

But I have to admit. The one theory they have about the kids coming back as zombies due to immunizations is very clever. Kudos to the author for thinking that one up.

Now, onto the PLOT.
I really didn't know what to expect when reading this book. I felt that it was either going to be like DARK MOON DIARY or maybe some form of MONSTER HIGH. I think I probably would have liked it better if it had been.

Now... what about them characters?

Pete reminded me of ROGER KLOTZ from DOUG.











The Pain Crew can be played by Roger's gang.










Adam reminded me of ARCHIE ANDREWS.













And all the girls were basically like MONSTER HIGH DOLLS but with huge vocabularies.












Now, back to the DARK MOON DIARY.... I really think that I would have enjoyed this book more if it had been a comic book. Even a chibi kind of cute ToykoPop comic book. I know I would have loved it then. In booky wook form it just kinda bored me.













The ENDING
I feel that the ending should have stopped around page 380 when Pete pulled the trigger. I don't think we should have known who was shot. That would have probably pushed my rating up a bit. Just for that one little bit.

What about another?
I don't know if I'll be able to read the next one. Darkfallen has told me that it is better but it's just another teenage book based at a school and I have such a problem with them unless they are comic books. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle it.

Would I recommend this book?
Well, I think a 12 or 13 year old would love this book. And I totally would let them read it. Sure, there is a tad bit of cussing but it's nothing that they aren't going to hear off tv. Plus, the book sets a good message about equal rights.

What about me?
Well, like I said, it was based around a school and I thought it was going to be more fun. I just didn't have fun with it. I tried it, gave it a spin, and now am going to pass it to my little neighbor girl down the street.

It kind of had the feel of ABC FAMILY CHANNEL series. I'm not really into those but I'm sure if it was to become one it would be huge :)

So not for me but maybe for you ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment