Monday, August 1, 2011

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Title:Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
Author(s): Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Published: 2006
Synopsis from Goodreads

So you're a guy; you're at a band show and your ex, the girl who dumped you, walks in with the new guy. Looking for a safe exit, you ask the girl you happen to sitting with to be your girlfriend for five minutes . You're a girl; you're at a get-together and your least favorite female strolls in. The stranger sitting next to you asks you to be his five-minute date. So what do you? You lock lips . Nick and Norah's instant connect begins a roller-coaster "first date" that takes them through Manhattan and into themselves. A novel concept that works.







You know when you read something and you think:

How old are these people?

or

What year is this?

Cuz the characters are acting like the 30 year olds did when they should have been that age but there are cell-o-phones and up to date cars and stuff which kinda confuses you but you just go with it.

Well, this book was kinda sorta like that... plus an opening audition for Juno Boy to play Scott Pilgrim but I'll get to that later.

Nick and Norah was a nice teen coming of age, graduating, daddy big shot, dance with the poor boy from the other end of the tracks kinda love story. I dug that it was written by a guy and a girl. It made it seem more real. And with that realness it made me like it more. We didn't focus all the way through on what people smelled like, or who was staring at who across the room, or what designer heels people were wearing. (although all this stuff actually was mentioned but in entirely different ways than you would expect which made it even more awesome)

The thing that got me about this book was not that the movie was not much like it (we did not go on a wild adventure throughout the entire book looking for "Where's Fluffy". That was just a chapter or 2 and we didn't even have to go all over the place to find them. Nor did the book end with them finding Fluffy or doing it on Daddy's work couch... that kinda sorta took place near a Pepsi Machine ... how romantic ;) ) but it was the stuff they talked about.

So dig it. Nick and Norah was written in 2006 or published or what have you and they are both 18 which means they were born in 1988 or something. And they talk about how they were kids in pajamas when they first listened to Green Day and I have to be thinking uhhh... let's see... I guess I can buy that.... but then they talk about how they are upset that "My So Called Life" got cancelled and all they have is a little dvd set worth of shows and I can't help but wonder who on earth would let their 6 year old watch that show... or would a 6 year old even understand that show... and my guess is NO.... so doesn't it stand to reason that they wouldn't know any better? Why aren't they talking about Freaks and Geeks. That would have made more sense.

And then there's this talk about HEATHERS. You know that movie where all the chicks are named HEATHER and Christian Slater is in that movie and he's into umm... doing stuff. I really didn't dig that movie which makes me totally uncool and I had no idea there was a cult following for it... BUT... these kids are quoting lines from it and I just don't know if today's youth would be totally into that movie. I think that it would be more like "10 things I hate about You" or even "Mean Girls" or "Jawbreaker". Am I wrong? Are kids of today... or 2006 into 80s movies and 90s tv?

And then then then!! There's this mention of RISKY BUSINESS and I have never ever seen that movie cuz that's a MOM and Dad movie and I'm way too cool for that (no I'm not... I love Tom Cruise but I still have never seen his underwear movie cuz I'm boring) and I just don't know if teenage 21st century cell-o-phone kids would watch that. But I have to think about the access they have to everything now.... With the Netflix and the Youtubes and all that. So, I guess it's possible but I dunno... Is it really?

That didn't make me dislike the book... it just got me to thinking.

What drove me away from the book is how many times they dropped the "F" bomb. Good grief!! Blah blah EF EF EF blah EF blah blah EF!!

OK! I get it!! You like to cuss!! And teenagers have foul mouths and it's all punk rock and RAWR... but ums... it's kinda excessive. But I bet your kid would get a freaking THRILL out of reading that like a jillion times which might make her/him want to read because they'll feel like they are doing something wrong just by reading naughty words. I'm sure my son felt that way when he was reading Scott Pilgrim. There were a couple cuss words in those books.


Which leads me to the similarities to NICK AND NORAH and SCOTT PILGRIM.


Oh snapple apples!

You are not going to believe this... but you should because why would I lie to you? But NICK and SCOTT are very similar.

For example:

This is NICK
description



And this is SCOTT.
description

Do you already see a similarity?

Yes, they both play the bass. Although Scott sucks and Nick is supposed to be pretty awesome.

They both are in a band. Nick's band name keeps changing and if I remember correctly so does Scott's (before comic book 1 -- that's like back story and stuff)

They are both after a girl. Although Ramona and Norah are pretty different there is talk about EVIL EXes in both books!! And about a VEGAN!!

Another similarity with they RAMONA/NORAH girls is that Ramona doesn't mention her last name until like way way later and we don't learn NORAH'S until the end of the book.

Nick and SCOTT are both STRAIGHT EDGE boys and don't drink or smoke or do drugs (CBS CARES)... but before you tackle me there is a part where SCOTT does drink but its like one sip and he's drunk so I'm not counting it.

Scott has a gay roommate. His name is Wallace and was played by HOME ALONE Boy's brother in the movie (I love WALLACE!) while NICK is in a band that has 2 gay guys in it. So, both books are clearly similar there. Although... to one-up it we learn at the very end of Scott Pilgrim that the lead singer of Sex Bob-omb is gay. So, that makes it even more similar because you know.. it has that going for it ;)

Scott is 23 and NICK is 18 or something but he has his cousin's ID that he won in an X-BOX tournament that says he's 23.

And noe noe noes... I'm not trying to say that so and so ripped what's his name off. I'm clearly trying to figure out if NICK AND NORAH was an early audition for JUNO BOY to play SCOTT PILGRIM ;)

Its not the best book in the world. I didn't squee too much except for here and there... but its a good read and now I want to watch the movie again because I want to see if I can find things that were in the movie that weren't in the book and that were in the book but not in the movie. Woo woo it's actually on DEMAND!

Had fun with it but I don't think I'll ever read it again :)

Give it a shot! Then read SCOTT PILGRIM and let me know what you think ;P


No comments:

Post a Comment