Monday, August 29, 2011

Silas

Title: Silas
Author: Robert J. Duperre
Published: 2011
Synopsis from Goodreads:


Ken Lowery is a man at odds with his life. He hates his job, is disappointed in his marriage, and feels resigned to leading a mundane existence.

That all changes when his wife brings home a rambunctious Black Labrador puppy named Silas, who forges a remarkable connection with Ken and begins to heal his inner turmoil. When some neighborhood children start to go missing, he takes it upon himself to protect those around him and is thrust into a surreal world where monsters roam. Not everything is what it seems to be, he soon discovers, including his new best friend.









A Greta Review


This book is sooooooooo the Every-Man Manly Man I love my dog, I'm going through a midlife Crisis, Oh snap where did I wind up at, why is everything different, sort of fairytale.



ANd you know what kids?



Its da BOMB!!



Ken is going through a mid-life crisis. I mean, its not a bad thing. Well, it's kinda a bad thing but its understandable. He's 32, stuck in a rut, and his wife just brought home a puppy.



HOW DARE SHE ! ! ! !



But after a night of nacho indulgence (it isn't specified if nachos were the key but I like to believe they are) Ken has a health scare with the old ticker and is put on bed rest for a bit.



During that time he bonds with Silas, the new labrador puppy.



I can tell you as a strict lover of cats that I fell in love with Silas. I'm one of those people who can't stand the needy dog. I mean I like the dog on I am Legend, and I like the dog in Marley and Me, but can I like THIS dog? This dog that wants to be petted and is a puppy that gnaws on things and drools on shoes, and is just so clingy?!!



The answer is YES.... because dogs grow up and Silas is awesome!



But the story isn't just about how a man bonds with his dog. Well, ok... some of it is. Ken has been told his whole childhood that pets aren't needed because they just break your heart after they die. He never had a pet growing up because his Dad wouldn't allow them. I had a friend like this. He got his first dog when he was in his mid 20s. And you know what? Just like Ken he realized that there was something missing in his life... The love of a pet.



As Ken bonds with Silas and his life starts to get a bit better he soon finds that life isn't always rosebuds and flea collars. Some of those nasties from life before NACHO LAND are still around. You know... the part of the chips that have the hard cheese on them? We hate those!!



This is what spirals the LOVE SONG into a Marilyn Manson cover song.



DA DA DA DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!



Because Ken is about to find himself in a land that is not his own. A land of holy batwing terror. A land that can only be described as a nightmare.



But the cool thing is... he still has his dog with him.




Greta's thoughts:




How would you describe this book?
THe perfect manly man fairytale. IT had everything! I think any man would LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!



What fairytales does this book remind you of?
Pinocchio
Peter Pan
The Jungle Book
Lord of the Rings
Planet of the Apes



Planet of the Apes isn't a fairy tale. Why would you say that?
Because there aren't enough fairy tales for men in the world so movies and comic books have become them.



How is the imagery in the book?
Oh My GAWD amazing!! YOu really feel like you are there!!! ITs told with just the right amount of description and not once do you have to know what stuff smells like, how things make you feel, and all that other oowy goowy touchy feely stuff that women dig.



Did you feel you got inside a man's head?
Most definitely!! It was awesome to really hear a man's voice. I super loved it!



Who would you buy this book for?
I think this would make the most awesome father's day gift. I also think this book is perfect for any animal lover (whether it be cats, dogs, or chickens... everyone will love this book).



How young of a person do you think could read this book?
This is NOT a book for kids!! There isn't much cussing which I thought was fabulous. ITs amazing how women authors cuss and cuss and cuss but men authors seem to limit their swearing. I really dug that. And there really isn't much graphic nudity (there is a bit) but this is NOT your 8 year olds bedtime story. I think a mature thirteen year old or high schooler could definitely read this book without any problem. I would let my fourteen year old son read this but I wouldn't let my eleven year old cousin read it.



Were there parts that scared you?
Oh hells to the yes!! There were most awesome creepy crawlies in this book that made me squirm but also made me go "WOAH!! THAT IS COOL!" Its the perfect mix of horror detail that I super loved.



If you could change anything about this book what would it be?
THe cover! THe cover is dreadful and I do not like it!!! That is NOT how it should look. I mean, I guess that is KEN and SILAS on the cover but they look evil and zombie-like. That's not the way they are supposed to look at ALL!! IF I was to judge this book by its cover its quite possible I wouldn't pick it up.



Were you satisfied with the ending?
Oh yes yes yes yes!! It was superb!! It had everything I wanted



Could there be a sequel?
Not with Ken's story. I think where his ended is perfect and shouldn't be mucked with. Now, with the other characters he met along the way... they could totally get more added to the mix.



Who was your favorite character?
Big Guy



Who is Big Guy?
I can't tell you..... You have to read the book to find out ;)





In Closing




THis is a most awesome book and I'm super glad that I read it. I think it would be a great plot for a movie and I hope one day it becomes just that!









*Make sure to stop by the Wastelands on Wednesday where we will be taking part of the Kismet book tour for Silas. It's sure to be a howl of a good time!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really cool and I love your enthusiastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review chica and I so can't wait for our tour stop! I'm on pins and needles about your review with Rob! yes I know I could just hop in the dashboard and look but.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say that I love your reviews!!! You ladies rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pushy!! Although I can't take much credit for this one. It's all Greta and her own flavor of awesomesauce;)

    ReplyDelete