Thursday, August 18, 2011

Heavnly by Jennifer Laurens: Review

Heavenly
by Jennifer Laurens
Pick up your copy today at Amazon, or your local indie!
Synopsis borrowed from Goodreads:

I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him.

Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.

Darkfallen's thoughts:

First I wanna say a special thanks to Jennifer Laurens for giving my this copy for review. I have had Heavenly on my TBR for a LONG time and when she asked me to review it I jumped at the chance...so Thank You!

So like I said I have been wanting to read this for close to forever now, so I naturally wanted to love it. But in the beginning it was quite the opposite of love I was feeling. Zoe is a 18 yr old teenage girl whose little sister, Abria, is autistic. But in the beginning Zoe just came off as mean, and heartless when it came to her sister. The resentment Zoe felt for all the struggles that came along with living with Abria really grated with me. In fact I almost threw the book down and walked away...I just couldn't do it. But like I said I have really wanting to read this so I scoured pages upon pages of reviews on Goodreads, only to find out that 90% of the population LOVED this book. So I thought to myself...why don't I? With shear determination I decided that I was not giving up on this book. I was going to find out why so many people love this story.

And...I...Did!

You are taken through a rough journey about a family that it falling apart. Due to the struggles and the strain of living with someone with autism they all start to unravel. Zoe turns to drinking, and hooking up with guys. Luke, her 16 yr old brother, turns to smoking pot, and eventually selling Lortabs to supply his habit. All the while both of the parents seem to overlook their older children, grasping at straws, just praying for the strength to make it through another day. It isn't until Matthias, Abria's guardian angel, steps in the picture that things start to change. Abria clams down from his touch, making everyone else's life that much easier, but Zoe can see Matthias when no one else can...

The relationship between Zoe and Matthias had me laughing out loud on more then one occasion. Zoe and her thoughts kept getting her in trouble. I also love the way Zoe kept trying to save her brother from the mistakes he was making once she got herself straightened out. I will say that this was a little to clean cut for me. I mean there is definitely some twists and turns you won't see coming and OMG the ending is fantastic in the most tragic way, but the way Zoe stops drinking and becomes the good girl, Luke stops smoking pot, gets a job, does his homework. The way their parents actually start to take stock in their older children's lives and everyone just seems, all of a sudden, So Happy Together, seems a little forced to me. I just don't see it going down that way in the real world. This is very much one of those books that is sending the message Put your faith in God and everything will work out. So if that's your kind of thing I say go for it, you'll prolly love it! I'm just not one of those girls. But overall this was a good read, with the most awesome twist at the end...a twist that made me cry.


Lymi...





No comments:

Post a Comment