Friday, September 14, 2012

Fathomless (Fairytale Retellings #3) by Jackson Pearce: Review


Fathomless (Fairytale Retellings #3)
By Jackson Pearce
Published September 4th 2012 by Little Brown Books For Young Readers
Pick up your own copy at Amazon, B&N, or your local indie today!
Synopsis borrowed form Goodreads:

Celia Reynolds is the youngest in a set of triplets and the one with the least valuable power. Anne can see the future, and Jane can see the present, but all Celia can see is the past. And the past seems so insignificant -- until Celia meets Lo.

Lo doesn't know who she is. Or who she was. Once a human, she is now almost entirely a creature of the sea -- a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid -- all terms too pretty for the soulless monster she knows she's becoming. Lo clings to shreds of her former self, fighting to remember her past, even as she's tempted to embrace her dark immortality.

When a handsome boy named Jude falls off a pier and into the ocean, Celia and Lo work together to rescue him from the waves. The two form a friendship, but soon they find themselves competing for Jude's affection. Lo wants more than that, though. According to the ocean girls, there's only one way for Lo to earn back her humanity. She must persuade a mortal to love her . . . and steal his soul.

Darkfallen's thoughts:
 

To be honest I am torn between 2 and 3 stars on this one. Which pretty much breaks my heart because I LOVE Jackson Pearce with all my heart. But I guess they can't all be winners? *sighs*

Celia and her two sisters are triplets, but she has always felt like the odd one out. There is just something that sets her apart. Although they are all a little strange because they all have powers. Jane can read minds, Anne can see the future, and Celia can see the past. Celia always felt like she was stuck the the power that she couldn't do anything with. I mean how could seeing someones past possibly be useful? That is until she saves a boy named Jude from downing in the ocean. Saves him with the help of a girl that lives in the ocean. And then everything changes, and she finally feels useful. But the ocean girl isn't who she seems to be and Celia just might be making a grave mistake by helping her...

Ok so I don't want to give anything away so this is going to make this review hard to right. First let me start by saying that I was drawn in to this world with the writing that Jackson Pearce is so known for. The almost poetic rhythm this is written in just sucks you in and makes you visualize in such a way that you feel like you watched the movie, not read the book. Still that just doesn't cut it this time....

So this do tie into the other books, Sisters Red and Sweetly, just a little bit. You don't have to read those two to understand this one but you will pick up on little things here and there along the way if you do. But my problem with this book is this; I have a hard time forging any kind of connection between werewolves and mermaids. This is supposed to be a take on The Little Mermaid, and I don't get why there are werewolves in here? I mean you can write a story however you like, but at the end of the day you need the reader to believe what you wrote. And I am sad to say that I just can't wrap my head around this one. It makes me really upset since I never though I would ever say this about a Jackson Pearce novel. I mean the women is a genius with words, but I just can't buy what she's selling here.

Overall I like the characters. Especially Celia and Jude, and I still love the way this was written. But the story itself just didn't do it for me and left me feeling kind of let down. Also the cover is a little dissapointing compared to the other covers in this series. I would have liked to see something a little darker and twisted.
 

Lymi...


No comments:

Post a Comment