Monday, February 6, 2012

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Title: Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)
Author: Susan Ee
Published: May 2011
Synopsis from Goodreads

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

This book was AWESOME!!

No... scratch that....

It was BEYOND AWESOME!!

BEAWESOME!!!



Words can not describe how much I enjoyed this book.... but I'll try.



Ok, yeah, that about covers it ;)

I honestly didn't know that angels could be that cool.

Wait... not just angels.

ARCHANGELS!!!



We're talking about kick ass warrior angels with swords and a thirst for blood!!

EEEE!!!

Again.....

AWESOME!!

The story takes place six weeks after an all out apocalypse has broken out on the human race.

And who are we at war with?

ANGELS!!

That's right!! ANGELS!!

Gone are the thoughts that angels are the good guys. These ones want us dead and wiped off the face of the Earth.

All I can say is AWESOME!

Penryn, her mom, and her wheelchair bound sister, Paige are on the run. Hiding just to try to stay alive. But they wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time. A gang of angels are attacking one of their own. Tearing his wings off. Leaving him for dead. They don't want to get noticed. But they do. And because of that Paige is snatched from Penryn and their demented mother is no where to be found.

Penryn now has to find a way to get her sister back. Her mother can take care of herself. She's not right in the head. The way I thought of her was kind of like Sarah Connor. Remember in the end how Sarah Connor was getting all obsessed with the Resistance and Judgement Day? Well, Penryn's mother had the same idea when it came to angels... although with a more screws loose.

Now with her mother gone, and her sister taken by angels, Penryn's only hope in finding Paige lies with the wingless angel before her. He has to know where their lair is. But is he alive to show her the way? If he is what can she bargain with? That's when Penryn takes his wings.

The angel's name is Raffe and let's just say I freaking ADORE HIM! He's funny, sarcastic, and warrior strong! He's just all around great!

But this isn't an angel that Penyrn can fall in love with. That's forbidden. Angels are not allowed to be with humans in that way.

And yet, they need each other. Penryn needs Raffe to show her the way to the Angel's lair and Raffe needs get there in hopes that he can get his wings reattached. That is if he helps Penryn find her sister.

This book is just jam packed full of adventure, jaw dropping horror, and clever characters. I loved every minute. I have heard people compare this to the Hunger Games but in my opinion this book was ten times BETTER!!

I loved the lore of the archangels. I loved learning about them. I don't know much about angels but this book opened my eyes to how freaking cool and warrior-like they can be. I enjoyed the way author made each one different. It will definitely have you googling each one when Penryn and Raffe meet others.

I can't tell you how much I would recommend this book. There's something for everyone. And I feel that a fourteen year old would be just fine reading this. There isn't much cussing but there is violence. When I was fourteen this book would have been right up my alley.

My favorite apocalyptic book is "The Road". "Angelfall" is on the cusp of knocking "The Road" of the ledge. I'm actually unsure which one I like best. It's that good!

So, kids... Go buy this book!! You won't be sorry!!

And I can't wait for the next one to come out. I'm literally on pins and needs with anticipation!



**Paranromal Wastelands would like to thank Susan Ee for giving us a copy to review

8 comments:

  1. I have this book and now you have me super excited to read it. Awesome review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha this is epic and I loved this book too! I also haven't seen anyone not love it which is so rare for an indie!! :D

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very very true!! This could totally be mainstreamed published ;)!!!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!!! It was amazing and cant wait for book 2. Did I mention I loved this book. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeeeeeahh. I loved this book in ways I have a hard time expressing without just... asdfghjkl.

    Raffe is one of the most awesome people ever, and Penryn's pretty cool too. Together, they're just PENULTIMATELY BADASS.

    Love your review! :D

    ReplyDelete