Friday, February 10, 2012

Falling In Between by Devon Ashley: Review

Falling In Between
By Devon Ashley
Expected Publication February 14th 2012

Synopsis borrowed from Goodreads:
Finally! A private conversation. And all I had to do was throw myself off a cliff, drown in a pond in my undies and let him put his hands on my breasts to bring me back to life. Yay me…(yeah, that’s sarcasm)

Yep, that pretty much sums up the most craptastic night of Jenna Baker’s life. She drowns after jumping off a cliff, meets a hotty named Chance in the pearlescent in-between and is brought back to life by her soon-to-be boyfriend Robert.

Just when things start to move forward with Robert, the guy she'd been crushing on for a year now, in walks the man of her dreams – literally. Chance suddenly appears in her dream every time she closes her eyes. So it's Robert by day and Chance by night. One in the real world and one in the dream world. What could possibly go wrong?

Absolutely nothing – until she comes face to face with the guy she met in the in-between, and realizes her romantic rendezvous with Chance may be more than just her imagination.

Note: Jenna's coming of age story is a little edgy. There is mild language and some sexual content.

Darkfallen's thoughts:

What can I say about Falling In Between?

Well first of all I didn't really know what to expect when I jumped into this book. You see I don't generally like, what I call "bubble gum smack", YA Contemporary. Basically what I mean is...if it's not full of sparkle-pires, yummy shirtless werewolves, or a tragic suicide/death...then I'm probably not going to dig it all that much.

Did I dig this book? Ummmm let's see...I read the entire thing in one sitting and couldn't put it down. Does that answer your question?

With a heavy does of romance and a heaping side of tragic this book was an easy read for me. I was completely socked by how much I liked it. Especially with that cover. I have to admit that I DON'T like the cover one bit. In fact I think that this book should have a very different cover altogether. One with a little mystery and intrigue, and a whole lot less on the poofy pink dress.

Why? Because it doesn't really fit the main character all that well and to top it off the cover almost made me not want to read it, because I thought the characters where going to be worrying about mani/pedi's and pink lip gloss, which couldn't be further from the truth.

This book is about Jenna and while she goes to a rich prep school she is not at all preppy. In fact she is a ward of the state and is there on scholarship, because let's face it, it beats staying in a group home. Luckily for her no one, besides her roommate, knows that she isn't just another rich brat.

After her roommate dares her to jump off a cliff into a pond, things take a turn for the worst. As in Jenna lands on a rock, drowns, and then is pulled out of the water and brought back to life by the guy that she's had a crush on ever since she started at this school. Oh and did I forget to mention that she's only wearing a bra and underwear? Yea it would be embarrassing if she wasn't unconscious.

But who would have thought that all she would have to do is die a little for Robert to finally notice her? After waking up in a hospital bed a few days later and finding him sitting next to her bed she finds out that he saved her.

Now I don't want to give away the whole story here so I'll say this. Jenna has a voice that is very real and down to earth. In fact she made me laugh a few times. I couldn't devour the pages fast enough. This book is the right amount of heavy drama mixed with romance and somehow it manages to keep it light at the same time. So if your looking for a book that will tug at your heart strings just a smidge, but will make you swoon A LOT, then this is the book for you!

Lymi...

No comments:

Post a Comment