Friday, August 24, 2012

Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman: Review

Beautiful Lies
By Jessica Warman
Published August 21st 2012 by Bloomsbury Press
Pick up your copy today at Amazon, B&N, or your local indie!
Synopsis borrowed from Goodreads:

A shocking, ambitious mystery full of twists and turns from the globally embraced author of Between.

Rachel and Alice are an extremely rare kind of identical twins—so identical that even their aunt and uncle, whom they've lived with since their parents passed away, can't tell them apart. But the sisters are connected in a way that goes well beyond their surfaces: when one experiences pain, the other exhibits the exact same signs of distress. So when one twin mysteriously disappears, the other immediately knows something is wrong-especially when she starts experiencing serious physical traumas, despite the fact that nobody has touched her. As the search commences to find her sister, the twin left behind must rely on their intense bond to uncover the truth. But is there anyone around her she can trust, when everyone could be a suspect? And ultimately, can she even trust herself?

Master storyteller Jessica Warman will keep readers guessing when everything they see-and everything they are told-suddenly becomes unreliable in this page-turning literary thriller.

Darkfallen's thoughts:
I have to say that the synopsis of this book reeled me in right away. I was so super excited to get my hands on an ARC of this book, and couldn't wait to start reading. After I started reading it though my enthusiasm waned a bit.

You start off meeting twins Alice and Rachel. And like most twins they are very different from each other except for their looks. Alice is the artistic trouble making, while Rachel is the rational book smart girl. So when Alice goes missing after a carnival it comes as no surprise to their aunt and uncle, but Rachel is panicking. She knows something is different this time, because Rachel has a secret. Can Rachel keep her secrets and find her sister? Or will holding on to all these lies be the death of her?

I will say that has the story unfolds I felt sorry for Alice more and more. All the secrets and lies that everyone was keeping from her, and the way she found them out, broke my heart. It did take a long while to get into this story though. I blame that on the writing style. This book is loaded with so many run on sentences that it's hard to read. In spots it even makes it boring, when in fact there isn't anything boring about this story. I think breaking up all the run on sentences could really make this story more enjoyable. Still I loved Alice and there is a twist at the end that brought tears to my eyes, and completely shocked me. It also made me a little mad that it didn't end the way I was hoping it would.

Overall this was a good story that makes you think. You can't help but try to figure out what is going on and the suspense is never ending.


Lymi...





No comments:

Post a Comment