Monday, December 5, 2011

Eyes to See

Title: Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt #1)
Author: Joseph Nassise
Published: October 11th 2011
Synopsis from GoodReads

In an urban fantasy that charts daring new territory in the field, Jeremiah Hunt has been broken by a malevolent force that has taken his young daughter and everything else of value in his life: his marriage, his career, his reputation. Desperate to reclaim what he has lost, Hunt finally turns to the supernatural for justice.

Abandoning all hope for a normal life, he enters the world of ghosts and even more dangerous entities from beyond the grave. Sacrificing his normal sight so that he can see the souls of the dead and the powers that stalk his worst nightmares, Hunt embarks upon a strange new career—a pariah among the living; a scourge among the dead; doomed to walk between the light of day and the deepest darkness beyond night.

His love for his departed daughter sustains him when all is most hopeless, but Hunt is cursed by something more evil than he can possibly imagine. As he descends into the maelstrom of his terrifying quest, he discovers that even his deepest fears are but prelude to yet darker deeds by a powerful entity from beyond the grave…that will not let him go until it has used him for its own nefarious purposes.


"Eyes to See" was sent to me by the publisher for an honest review... and because we all know me... I won't hold back.



Jeremiah Hunt is a blind dude that used to be able to see and worked at Harvard and had a hot lawyer wife, a Nancy Drew reading kid, and a fabulous house in Boston. THat is until one day his little girl disappeared. But who took her? Was it a kidnapper? Did she just wander off? Was it someone in the family? Or was it him?



At least a neighbor lady said it could have been him. But how?



For a couple years the man and wife tried to put on brave faces but realized their lives together had come to an end.



Hunt is going downhill. His life has been engulfed with the mystery of where his little girl has been taken to. If he can't SEE her with his own eyes, then maybe he can see better without them.



In a bizarre sacrifice, Hunt is given the gift to see what you and I can only feel. Those cold spots in the room that make the hair on the back of our neck stand on edge, the sudden sounds off in the distance but have no explanation on where they came, the bumps in the middle of the nigh.... Hunt can see ghosts.



It's been years since the last time he saw her. There's no hope that she might be alive. Sure, he'd like to think that but he's not going to coddle himself. More than likely Elizabeth is dead and with his new 'sight' maybe he'll catch a glimpse of what was taken away from him.



Or maybe it's just an open and shut case... that is... until there's been another murder.


~ Greta's Thoughts ~


What made you want to read this book?
It was compared to Harry Dresden and that made me squee.



Was it anything like that?
Ironically, Hunt did wear a duster like Harry and he helps out with police stuff but that's about it. There wasn't anything fun about this book. I was really hoping for that. Where Harry would make me LOL this book just made me want to give it to a man who watches CSI.



So, this book wasn't for you?
No, it wasn't. I won't watch CSI or LAW AND ORDER or anything where police cars are shown in the background. They uber bore me.



But what about things like SOOKIE and HARRY?
Now, I haven't read all of those but what I enjoyed out of the ones that I did was the humor. This book was just too dry in my opinion.



This book is a horror. Is that what you would consider it?
Is there a difference between Urban Fantasy and Horror? If so, then I think this book was more Urban Fantasy. There weren't any parts that kept me up all night or had me wigging out when the cats were roaming around while I was in bed waiting for the sun to pop up. It just didn't frighten me. Sure there were some creepy parts but nothing that I would consider horror. But, maybe I'm being too picky. IT was however, very imaginative when the creepy parts were played out.



Who do you think would like this book the most?
Definitely fans of CSI type stuff that want a good ghost story. I'm sure they would eat this book right up and give it the proper admiration that this story deserves.



What do you mean by CSI type people?
You know those kinds of people who want technical stuff explained? And then they can counter back with more mumbo jumbo that might go over your heard? And then they can tear it apart even more to see between the lines? Those are the kinds of people who would love this book. As for me. I think I might have been a little too dumb for it. The author, clearly, knows what he's writing and as for me I was having a bit of trouble keeping it all in the ol' noggin.



What about the kids?
I think a 14 year old would do just fine with this book. But if you leary then read it first and see if it's ok for Little Billy.



How was the writing?
I found it to be written quite well. I felt it was drawn out in parts but it was definitely a man's voice for a man's pov. That was nice. And there wasn't very much cussing which I also found a relief.



Overall?
If you are looking for Harry Dresden's twin then this isn't it. BUT! If you are looking for Harry's grumpy cousin who can CSI your brains out, has a knack for some basic witchcraft, and helps the cops out just like Harry... then this book is right yup your alley.



As for me... I'm going to go order a pizza and leave it out for the fairies.

1 comment: