Wednesday, December 28, 2011

As I Wake

Title: As I Wake
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Published: September 15th 2011
Synopsis from Goodreads

Ava is welcomed home from the hospital by a doting mother, lively friends, and a crush finally beginning to show interest. There's only one problem: Ava can't remember any of them - and can't shake the eerie feeling that she's not who they say she is.

Ava struggles to break through her amnesiac haze as she goes through the motions of high-school life, but the memories that surface take place in a very different world, where Ava and familiar-faced friends are under constant scrutiny and no one can be trusted. Ava doesn't know what to make of these visions, or of the boy who is at the center of them all, until he reappears in her life and offers answers . . . but only in exchange for her trust.


This book was AWESOME!!!

I have NEVER EVER EVER read anything like it and I loved it!!

In the beginning I kind of thought this book was going to be written in verse (with the way things are worded) but once you get to the middle it totally makes sense and made me love the book even more.

I totally recommend this book!! Super loves!

The Plot:
Ava wakes up in a room that isn't her own. She is surrounded by people she has met but not in this world. She's not the Ava everyone thinks she is. They all think she has lost her memory but Ava starts to remember... it's not her memories... it's her world.

The characters:
Ava: Main character who the story is told by. She can't remember who she is but knows that the woman who says she is her Mom is not her real Mom. She keeps having flashbacks of a harder time in an attic watching a boy and taking notes.

Jane: Ava's Mom... or is she? Wants Ava to remember who she is... as long as the person she remember is HER Ava.

Clementine: One of Jane's neighbors who works at the hospital where Ava is getting tests done to figure out where her memory has gone to. Keeps saying little cryptic things to Ava. Is she trying to remind her of something?

Ethan: Ava loves him. This Ava has met him before. Why doesn't she feel the same way she used to. Is he the same boy? Or is she not the same girl?

Morgan: The boy from the attic. The boy from Ava's memories. Or is it dreams? He wants her to come home. Ava thought she was home.

Olivia, Greer, and Sophy: Ava's best friends from school who this Ava can remember but differently.

What did this book remind me of?
It kind of reminded me of Quantum Leap, Fringe, X-Files, and a bit of Eerie Indiana. If you like Sci-fi and a good mystery then this book is for you!

Boy or Girl?
Well, I personally think that a girl would like this book more but that's only because boy's don't tend to read too many books with girl heroines. But I really think that if this book was to land in the right boy's hands then he would love it. He just has to give it a try.

Lyrical?
Zomg!! This book is soo lyrical!! If you like lyrical books or verse books or books full of metaphors then this book is for you!! It's brilliant!

Would you like a sequel?
Yes please!! Or a pre-quel!! Either one I would be fine with. I'm sure this book is meant to stand alone but there are so many things that could be added. WANTS MORE!!

What was the most interesting part of the book?
Mainly the flashbacks. I loved learning what Ava was remembering from her time as herself and not the girl everyone thinks she is.

Would you buy this book?
Tough question. I got this book from the library and it took me about 5 or 6 hours to read. It's a real easy book which I love but i don't know if I could spend $20 on it. I could see spending say $6 on it. Maybe rent it from the library first and then see what you think. I personally wouldn't spend that kind of cash on it. But don't take my word for it... I'm cheap.

The Cover:
The cover, while very pretty and extremely cool, kind of confuses me. If you look at it, it is clearly AVA, but what is she doing? Is her head exploding? Is she catching things on fire? Is she vaporizing? None of that happens. So, what is it? I figure it's her having her memories from when she sleeps. Not shifting, literally, but more metaphysical... maybe? Or perhaps it's her shadow (you'll understand that later). For those of you who have read the book... what did you think?

Parents Guide:
No descriptive hanky panky in this book but there are 2 scenes or really sentences that talk about masturbation. It's not descriptive at all. Beavis and Butt-head would do worse ;P. I think an 8th grader would be fine with this book.

What I took from this book:
No matter what... you are always going to be the same person. You might have different mannerisms but they can't take the YOU out of yourself.

Overall:
This book is great! I enjoyed it! Not a dull minute!




No comments:

Post a Comment