Saturday, May 5, 2012

Box Turtles: Facts and Advice on Care and Breeding

Title: Box Turtles: Facts & Advice on Care and Breeding
Author(s): Richard & Patricia Bartlett
Published: 2001
Synopsis from Goodreads

Most box turtle varieties are poor swimmers, and prefer both natural and terrarium environments where waters are shallow. Here's is detailed advice on all aspects of their care and maintenance. Books in this series give hobbyists basic information on reptiles' anatomy, life cycles, and traits, as well as specific instructions on care and breeding. There is expert information on selecting good specimens, determining sex, providing proper caging, nutritious feeding, and health care. All books are heavily illustrated with full-color photos.

If you follow my Facebook feed then you all should know that recently we have aquired a new member of the family.

On Easter, my husband spotted something on the sidewalk and low and behold the Easter Rabbit didn't leave us an egg... but a box turtle.



I didn't want to keep him for fear that we wouldn't be able to take care of him, but my husband and son were very eager to welcome him into our family.

After removing an angry fire ant from the turtle's head and assuming a hawk must have brought him to our house, we started researching turtles.

Having no clue what kind of turtle our new little dude was we started looking into reptile and turtle forums. After a day or so it was confirmed that we have a box turtle on our hands.... which is the reason I got this book.

While this book is very informative, I wish it read more like a keeper's guide and not like a hobbiest's manuel. I also wish there were more pictures. Sure there were tons, but I was really curious what things like mouthrot and swollen eyes looked like on a sick turtle (so I would be in the know).

It was a good introduction but it left me hungry for more.



No comments:

Post a Comment