Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tyler Falls by Lori L. Clark: Review

Tyler Falls
By Lori L. Clark
Published May 26th 2012
Pick up your copy today at Amazon!
Synopsis borrowed from Goodreads:

By the time seventeen-year-old Tyler Falls meets Emma, his "Thirty-Days-Left-to-Live" plan is already in place -- and falling in love isn't part of that plan.

Tyler has suffered from manic depression for as long as he can remember. Through medication and therapy, he manages to keep his life together. But when his parents are murdered, he decides he's had enough of living as a broken person with a broken life. So, in thirty days, he plans to stick the barrel of his Ruger SP101 into his mouth and pull the trigger.

Emma Perez's brother, Ethan Giovanni, sits in a mental institution for the murder of Dr. and Mrs. Falls. Deemed mentally incompetent and unfit to stand trial, Ethan has one weekly visitor -- Emma. She doesn't deny his guilt, he's her brother and she loves him spite of the fact he's paranoid schizophrenic.

They say when you cross paths with someone more than once, it's fate -- you're destined to meet. Tyler doesn't know Emma is Ethan's sister, and Emma doesn't know Tyler's story either. When Tyler learns who Emma's brother is, the world he's rebuilt around her begins to crumble all over again and it leaves both of them wondering why fate has such a cruel sense of humor.


Darkfallen's thoughts:
When I got the chance to review this book I jumped at it. I don't know, maybe I just like books that will torment me, and make me cry. Does that make me a masochist? Ummmmm....I think it might.

Overall I really did enjoy this book. The writing is clean and crisp, and easy to follow, making this a very fast read. I couldn't help but feel for both Tyler and Emma. Going through what Tyler did when he lost his parents, and then the cross Emma has to wear in the aftermath is just heartbreaking. I think it's even more heartbreaking because we all know that's how it would really happen in real life. That sometimes the crosses we have to bare aren't a result of our own actions but none the less ours. It really sucks to suffer the consequences for something you didn't do. Still Emma handles it all in stride and doesn't take crap from no one. I think that's what makes her so great.

This story is told from alternating POV's and while I usually love that this one had a tendency to re-hash scenes from both persons POV. At times I found this to make the story drag, or lag rather, causing me to skim read a lot of it. That's my only complaint with the writing. I just didn't really feel it was necessary to read, and then re-read the same stuff over and over again from a different POV. I was ready to move forward.

Overall this was a great story that tugged at the heart strings and I would definitely read more from this author.


Lymi...


No comments:

Post a Comment