Monday, November 21, 2011

Texas Gothic

Title: Texas Gothic
Author: Rosemary Clement-Moore
Published: July 2011
Synopsis from Goodreads

Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

I really wanted to like this book. I can't tell you how much I wanted to like this book! It started out sooo soo good!! With goats that were climbing up a tree and escaping their pen and a girl chasing them in her underroos while a hot cowboy rides up and helps her herd them back into their pen and thinks she's nuts because goats don't climb trees.

I mean... THAT was most awesome!!!

But what got me was the way this was written. IT was NOT the funny book I thought it was going to be. I mean, I was grinning from ear to ear for like the forst 30 pages and then... It got too smart for me. The kids talk like the have doctrines and stuff and I just don't dig it when kids in books do that.

Now, granted the Sister PHIN is like a girl SHELDON from THE BIG BANG THEORY and she's actually in college so I'll let that one slide... but not every kid in America talks like that! It just drove me insane.

So, this book is all about Amy (who just graduated) and her sister Phin (who is a genius) housesitting their aunt's farm. OH! And the kicker is they come from a family of witches. Da da da.... PARANORMAL PLOT THICKENS.

Phin is into the scientific part of magic and Amy just wants to be left out of the bibbidy bobbidy boos. That is until one day she's moseying over to the cowboy's ranch and finds a skull that just so maybe might belong to a real live ghost.

SCOOBY DOO!! WHere are you?!! Oh yeah... and her dog found it ;)

Sigh... its not a bad book... I'm sure extremely smart people would love this book... but for me and my small brain I just wanted to gripe, moan, and groan and go all zombie on it. I just didn't dig all the BRAINZ!

Plus... Dialogue would go on and Amy would have a 2 paragraph inner monologue about what was just asked and then she would just BLURT out the answer. This totally confused me and irritated me that I found myself having to re-read several parts just to get to the point. AHHS! Stuff like that makes me want to kill brain cells ;)


1 comment:

  1. Haha I love this review! I'm sure you don't have a small brain! :P I have this one on my TBR list it sounded like a lot of fun and comedic but at least I know what to expect. It's the first review I read on it :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete